Pages

Sunday 3 June 2012

A Great Start to Steampunk!

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
      by Kady Cross

Wide Eyed - 3/5

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:
"Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined..."
When I first picked up The Girl in the Steel Corset, I didn't realize that the paperback version had the prequel to the Steampunk series. Needless to say, it was an awesome surprise. :)


It was a fun, quick read that was a nice introduction to Miss Finley Janye. I didn't feel like I was missing anything, nor did I ever feel like I was being over-loaded with information. I think it would have been a more enjoyable read if I had read The Girl in the Steel Corset before I read the novella.


But you really get a feel for Finley Jayne in this short-story. Her heroic side really shines, but in a some-what scary way. Finley tends to be most heroic when her "dark side" takes over. I found myself quite enjoying Finley's character, but then I would be somewhat scared of her when her violent, dark side would take over.


I also love how Phoebe and her mother weren't bothered by Finley's weird behavior. 


I can't wait to get started on The Girl in the Steel Corset!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome how the prequel novella was included in the paperback edition. I still haven't read it, so if I remember, I'll have to read it while I'm at Chapters next time, lol.

    Can't wait to hear what you think about The Girl in the Steel Corset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was really surprised to find it in there!

      I'm almost done the Steel Corset now - less than 100 pages left. It's kind of fun making connection between the novella and the novel as I'm reading along. Although, I'm not liking the book as much as I had hoped I would. But I;ll explain more of that in my review tomorrow! Cause I will definitely have that up by the end of the day... Or the end of today, I guess, considering how ungodly the hour is right now. What is it with me and having issues going to sleep?!

      Anyways. This comment is already long enough, lol. I checked out your STS and left a comment!

      Talk to you soon!
      Lex.

      Delete