Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter

Rating: Starry Eyed - 5/5
Release Date: March 29th, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 398

First, a quick summary from Goodreads:
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world. 
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…
Wow. Just - Just wow. I have to admit that I absolutely loved this book. Kylie was caught at the wrong place at the wrong time, and as a result, she was shipped off to Shadow Falls Camp, a camp for troubled teens. But at the camp, not everyone is as they seem...


Within the camps grounds, we come across Shape-Shifters, Werewolves, Vampires, Witches and even Fairies. At first, I thought that Shadow Falls was going to be a species over-load. But Hunter made it work out surprisingly well. During the book, we got a good dose of each of the species. With Kylie's two best friends - a vampire and a witch -, her two irresistible crushes, Lucas - a werewolf - and Derek - a half-fae - we got the full supernatural dose. 


Can I tell you again how surprised I was by how much I loved this book? First, Kylie was a totally relateable character for me. I can completely understand her need to be normal throughout the book, and I definitely didn't blame her for wanting it to be that way. Her attraction to Lucas did kind of annoy me, cause it kind of sprang out of nowhere, where as her attraction to Derek had at least had been built up on something. But I do have to admit, both of those guys are amazing characters. Just when I thought I preferred Derek over Lucas, Lucas would swoop in and do something to make me reconsider, and when I started favouring Lucas, Derek would swoop in and do the exact same thing.


Another thing that annoyed me was how long it took Kylie to finally deal with the ghost that kept plaguing her. The curiosity of what he wanted was killing me! And I thank that ghost a million times for being forceful of having his voice heard! But I hardly regestered this annoyance with everything else that seemed to be going on at Shadow Falls.


Over all, this book was just absolutely awesome. If you asked me why I loved this book so much, I honestly wouldn't be able to give you a straight up answer. I think it's because I was able to connect with Kylie so much. Or maybe it was because of how dedicated her, Della and Miranda were as friends to one another. Or maybe it was the fact that the twist with the ghost I didn't see coming at all. 


I could go one listing thing after thing, but all I'm going to be doing is wasting your time. I would easily read this book again in a pinch, and I really think you should give this book a shot. I went in with skepticism because I had heard very bad things about it - but also a few good things - but, oh my god, am I ever glad I took the time to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment