Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Shatter Me by Thereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)RATING: 3.5/5

        **May contain minor spoilers**

So. It looks like I’m in the minority for this book.

I’m going to be honest with you. I have no idea how to start off this book review. I willfully admit that it disappointed me in so many ways. Juliette’s powers were never explained. Why can Warner and Adam touch her? Why did she desire Warner in ANY way when he forced her to do all that stuff she CLEARLY did not want to do. I can honestly not understand why ANYONE would be Team Warner after all the lunatic shit that he did.

The writing style for this book was really cool… At first. I kind of associated the cross-offs with her sanity. It’s pretty easy to tell that Juliette isn’t 100% stable (not that I blame her). But just when it seems she’s getting her shit together and acting normal, she’ll think something she shouldn’t be thinking and cross it out. Towards the 250 page mark it started to get very annoying for me.

Speaking of the writing style… THE METAPHORS. Some of them were really pretty and powerful, but I know a lot more left me when a look of confusion on my face than they should have. For example, that one about the rose petals. Can someone please explain that one to me? I don’t get it!

Now. Juliette and Adam’s relationship. I understand that they have a past history together, but does Juliette really know Adam? I think my biggest problem was how eager they were to take each other’s clothes off.

Half way through the book it looked like to me that I wasn’t going to bother picking up the second one. But once Kenji showed them that I place (I’m trying to be vague here to avoid spoilers) I became A LOT more interested and I definitely plan on picking up the next one now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment